Wednesday 31 August 2011

Polenta corn bread

I fell in love with corn bread when I was travelling and eating my way through the US. I made it my mission to come up with a healthy recipe that was easy to make, and this is it!

Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup polenta
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 tbsp oil
1 cup tinned corn, drained
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 170C (fanforced) and grease loaf pan.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in polenta.
3. Combine eggs, milk and oil together and then gradually add to polenta mixture. Stir until smooth.
4. Stir in corn and cheese.
5. Pour into pan and cook for 35-40 mins or until lightly brown on top and inserted skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool before cutting into slices.




This is a perfect accompaniment to any type of soup and is a great alternative to normal store bought bread.  I freeze the leftovers slices individually wrapped and give it to my kids as a snack or as an add on to their meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment