Thursday 11 August 2011

Healthy, moist, yummy carrot cake


My girls love this carrot cake. I make them into muffins so I can freeze them and take them out in individual serves. If you use gluten free baking powder, they are gluten free, low in sugar and saturated fat. Even though they sound ultra healthy, they are really quite tasty and my girls always ask for a second serving!





300g grated carrots (~3 medium carrots)
50g of honey or pure maple syrup 
100g finely chopped dates/ sultanas (I use dates because they tend to be sweeter and that way I can add less sweeteners)
50g macadamia nut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
juice of 1 orange and rind of half an orange

NB: I grate my carrots and dates in my thermomix or food processor to save time and energy. (grating carrots is harder than it looks!)


1. Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced)
2. Mix oil, honey, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
3. Fold in carrots, dates, ground almonds, baking powder, juice and zest.
4. Fill 12 muffin cases and bake for 30- 40 mins or until skewer inserted comes out clean and lightly brown on top.




Great for a snack without being too sweet, so hopefully the kids won't be high on sugar and will still sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment