Saturday 6 August 2011

Bolognese two ways

I am always looking for ways to save time in the kitchen so being able to cook one dish and getting two different meals, gets the thumbs up from me! The basic recipe is a bolognese sauce with lots of hidden vegies so perfect for little ones. I started making this when the girls were babies and wanted to minimise the amount of salt in their diet, so the recipe is very low salt. Obviously, the no added salt versions of ingredients don't have to be used but I figure since they are still eating it now, why change it!

Bolognese sauce:

1kg lean beef mince (I use the heart smart one)
3 tins of chopped tomatoes (no added salt)
2 tbs of tomato paste( no added salt)
2 zucchinis, chopped finely
4 carrots, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 brown onions, chopped
2 tsps vegetable stock concentrate (I make my own low salt version)
500ml water

NB: I put the vegies in my food processor or thermomix and blend them until pureed. (saves time on chopping and that way the kids cant pick out the vegies!!)

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat and cook mince for 5 minutes or until brown. Set aside
2. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, carrot and zucchini and cook for 5 mins or until softened.
3. Add tomato tins, tomato paste, stock and water, reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour. If you are short on time, reduce water to 250ml and simmer for 30 mins.


First nights dinner - Pasta bolognese

I use 500g wholemeal penne pasta and stir through half the sauce and serve. I know some people are a bit reluctant to use wholemeal pasta, but apart from taking a little bit longer to cook, it tastes great and looks like normal pasta once it is covered in sauce. Surprisingly it wasn't my kids I had to convince, it was my husband! Once he tasted it though, in his words "I wouldn't have known it was different if you hadn't of told me!"



Second nights dinner- Potato mince pie

When it comes to cooking the seconds night dinner, some mashed potato and shredded cheese is all that is needed.

Mashed potato:

500g potato, peeled and chopped
500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped

1. Cook potato in large saucepan of boiling water for 20mins or until tender.
2. Drain potatoes, then mash.
3. Add some water to get a thinner consistency if wanted. (you could add milk and/or butter, but I find it doesn't need any)

To tell you the truth, this is how I used to make mash potatoes until I got my thermomix. Now, my much loved kitchen gadget does it all for me!




1. Preheat oven to 200 C (fanforced)
2. Spoon the bolognese sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
3. Put mashed potato on next and then sprinkle grated cheese on top.
4. Bake for 30mins or until cheese melted and top is golden brown.


Both these dishes will feed four with leftovers, so there shouldn't be any fights over who gets seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment